Operators are running to cope with a radio access technology challenge in their networks. The deployment of LTE alongside existing GSM and HSPA layer upgrades and modernization is adding complexity in radio access networks. Not only is a new radio technology involved, along with a raft of new frequency bands, but new IP-based backhaul transport needed for LTE must be added on top of the existing ATM and TDM backhaul transport networks. Such complexity threatens to create runaway costs for operators
The future just got simpler - Nokia Single RAN Advanced solution
The idea behind Single RAN is simple – operating different radio technologies on a single multi-purpose hardware platform.
Single RAN Advanced comprises of one radio installation with common IP/Ethernet transport and operational and management system with integrated, unified security. In addition, it enables the coordination and operation of different RATs in a unified way, as well as being able to use existing RATs to bring the best performance by coordinating their advantages. This makes Single RAN products ideal for legacy network upgrades, expansions and modernization.
Today, operators typically expect variety of benefits including more efficient use of spectrum, more efficient shared use of hardware, a simpler network architecture, end-to-end security, simplified fully IP-based transport, easy upgrades of existing sites, less ‘boxes’, lower costs and to support faster top line growth
True control for complex networks
Our vision of the future evolution of Single RAN technologies as explained in our new Single RAN evolution White Paper includes advanced re-farming features for more efficient use of shared spectrum; common network management incorporating self-organizing functions; improved resource sharing and pooling, improved end-to-end security and higher resiliency.
Ultimately, the aim of Single RAN evolution is to further simplify the macro radio networks. The steady evolution of capabilities will continue this simplification and ensure that all hardware deployed are secure and will remain usable in the future to protect operator investments
Portfolio filled with performance
- Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station is the smallest software-defined, 10 Gbps high-capacity platform on the market
- Flexi Compact Base Station is the industry’s first single module, three-sector macro base station
- Single RAN Transport solution cuts the cost of backhaul transport networks through IP/Ethernet transport sharing
- Multicontroller is the industry’s first modular and compact controller platform for both GSM and HSPA
- Nokia Liquid Radio Software Suites encompass a variety of innovative features to increase the mobile broadband capacity and connectivity, and help operators to balance the use of spectrum and networks more efficiently between GSM, LTE and WCDMA.
- Latest additions to Nokia Single RAN portfolio are Single RAN Releases, Common Base station O&M entity and Single RAN Transport function.
Learn more about our Single RAN Advanced product portfolio.